Twenty miles, four beaches, two wheels and one goose! So many gifts on one ride!
It was unusually warm on January 2, 2021 so decided to go for my first 2021 bike ride. One of my favorites is about 20 miles with a stop at four beaches – 3 only for residents in season- and a lunch recommendation!
Start at the commuter lot at the Sherwood island extension road. You can also start at Sherwood Island but starting here precludes any time limitations at the park. Most of this ride is part of the East Coast Greenway from Maine to Florida – this segment is part of The Shoreline Trail.
- Turn left out of lot onto Sherwood extension road and another left onto green farms road to beachside avenue to burying hill beach (Beach 1)
- Burying hill beach to Southport beach (Beach 2) along the shore continuing on beachside road. The approach to the beach is stunning in and of itself.
- Follow East Coast greenway along the coast to Southport. From there you can make a right onto west way. But if you want to stop for lunch go to next bullet.
- Detour up Pequot Avenue to continue to Grey Goose Restaurant for lunch where I had my favorite sun bowl and a latte.
- After lunch, return to the corner of Pequot road and west way which is the beautiful Pequot Library and turn onto west way to the shoreline. From this direction you would be making a left.
- Follow the coast passing the beautiful member only Pequot yacht club and make a right over the bridge of Harbor Road and another right onto Sasco Hill Road
- Continue straight downhill to Sasco Beach (Beach 3) to take in the view returning back up (and up and up 🙂 Sasco Hill the same way you came
- You could return from here back to Sherwood Island but it was such a beautiful day I then made a right onto Old Field Road to Fairfield following the signs for the East Coast greenway
- Continue to Salt March Trail which is right off the road on the right and easily missed. Meander through to the other side through the Town Of Fairfield Recreation parking lot.
- Make a right onto Old Dam Road and then another right and left back onto Old Field Road back to Sasco Hill road.
- Return back from here following the same way back over the bridge at harbor road and then back through Southport to Westport along the shore.
- Given the hour, I went to Sherwood Island State park beach to see the sunset (Beach 4) before picking up the car.
A lovely 20 or so miles with loads of opportunities to be present and find loads of gifts!